Scientific Name : Solanum melongena
Common Name : Eggplant
Blooming Season : Summer
Plant Habit : Upright
Spacing : 24 - 36" (61 - 91cm)
Height : 24 - 42" (61 - 107cm)
Width : 24 - 36" (61 - 91cm)
Exposure : Sun
Grower Information :
Seed supplied as: Raw.
Class : Elongated
Size : Medium
Habit : Upright
Fruit Characteristics : Bright purple skin, semi-spineless
Calyx Colour : Green and Black
Baby Fruit Size : 5-7 in./13-18 cm long x 1 in./3 cm wide
Full Fruit Size : 9-12 in./23-30 cm long x 1.5 in./4 cm wide
Days to maturity from transplant : 50-55
Production Method : Field
- Slender, elongated eggplants are glossy with bright purple skin and white, tender, non-bitter flesh.
- Fruit can be sliced lengthwise for grilling or lightly frying, and tender skin does not need to be peeled.
- Sliced or diced fruit is great for a stir-fry or curry; its non-bitter flavour and tender texture will complement any sauce.
- Plants are upright and semi-spineless, so they are very easy and painless to harvest.
- Great in an in-ground garden or large container.